Sunday, October 14, 2012

Creating Fluent Readers

Rasinski talks about the importance of creating fluent readers, and not just students who can accurately sound out words in this article.  Reading fluency is the ability to develop control over surface-level processing so that one can focus on understanding the deeper levels of meaning embedded in the text.  I agree that although a student may be able to correctly sound out words, it does mean that they will have an even flow when reading or comprehending the vocabulary that is presented within the words that they are reading.  They must also be able to take the step from decoding to comprehension.  I know this is a weakness that I had as I went through elementary-middle grades.  To this day I still struggle sometimes with vocabulary, so I do not feel that my education was focused enough on the comprehension part of reading and was focused more of getting the decoding process through.  I feel that students also struggle with automatic processing, where they make a lot of mental errors while trying to decode the reading.  It is important to calculate somehow the fluency of the reader either through some type of percentage, reading rate, or rubric.  Without connecting the weaknesses and strengths of the readers, I do not think improvement can be made.  Assisted readings with the teacher, a group, or a partner can be a natural way to access the student reading fluency.  This may have to be repeated to figure out improvement that need to be made or has been made since the last listen.  A chart of a Multidimensional Fluency Scale presented in this article gave some great areas of expression with volume, phrases, smoothness, and pace to help teachers realize what need to be worked on and what has been mastered.  Some examples to look at are making the language sound natural, enthusiasm, monotone, choppy reading, rhythm, and multiple attempts.  Do you remember ever using repeated reading to accomplish reading fluency?  Do you feel like learning to read was more about the speed that you could read?

Here is an example of building reading fluency with repeated reading.


Here is an interview with Dr. Timothy Rasinski about his thoughts about reading fluency.



Source: Rasinski, T. (2004). Creating fluent readers. Educational Leadership, 46-51.


2 comments:

  1. I, too, think that is it so important to create fluent readers. reading fluently makes a difference in every level of a child's school like and can really change what a child thinks about school over all. Your additional youtube clips are great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I personally remember constantly focusing on how fast and how much I could read as an early reader. We would speed through our readings to take AR tests or to reach certain goals for our reading lists. This became a habit and I definitely think it affected how I approached reading in middle and high school. I continued to focus on how quickly I read material rather than comprehension.

    I love your youtube clips as well!

    ReplyDelete